Home > Consumer

Energy Choice: Choosing an Energy Supplier FAQs How to Switch Your Energy Suppliers What to Ask Suppliers Suppliers and Aggregators

Looking for information about your utility service? The Commission’s Consumer Services and External Affairs Division can help you find the answers. Every day changes occur in utility services, technology and public policy that affect you, the consumer. Timely information enables you to take advantage of new utility services and programs, avoid the pitfalls of scams, and become a smart consumer when it comes to paying bills and getting the best service from your utility.

The Consumer Services and External Affairs Division can assist you in many ways. In addition to providing you with up-to-date information about your utility service and changes in the utility industry, we can help resolve disputes between you - the consumer - and regulated utility companies and utility service providers including electric, natural gas, telephone, water, sewer and steam providers. We can also provide you with other valuable information. The Consumer Services and External Affairs Division:

  • acts as a mediator to help resolve disputes between customers and regulated utility companies
  • assists you in setting up payment plans for your utility bill
  • provides rules and regulations governing utility companies
  • provides information about public hearings and how you can participate
  • provides information regarding Commission proceedings
  • provides tips on energy conservation

While the Consumer Services and External Affairs Division can assist you in many ways, please be aware that we do not provide direct financial assistance for bill payment. The Commission does not regulate providers of cable service, cellular service or paging services, propane gas providers, heating oil companies, or internet service providers. Additionally, the Commission does not have jurisdiction over co-operative or municipal utilities.

Even though changes in New Hampshire laws have reduced the way some telephone companies are regulated, the NHPUC Consumer Services and External Affairs Division may still be able to assist you in resolving your complaint with your telephone service provider.


An Official Web Site for New Hampshire Government